More about White's Creek
1842 Map of Piperston and western catchment of White's Creek Source: NLA MAP F 662.
1842 Map of the Estate named Annandale situate in the Parish of Petersham and District of Sydney the property of Robert Johnston Esq. R.N. from the collections of the State Library of New South Wales.
A short Guided walk with Marghanita da Cruz
10.30-12.30 Saturday 1 October 2022
Starting and Finishing cnr of Percival and Salisbury Rds, Stanmore
Stanmore and Petersham landgrants are amongst the earliest. Land was given to George Johnston aid de comp to Govenor Philip and John White the Surgeon to the First Fleet. The creeks which acted as boudaries became colloquially know as Johnston's and White's Creeks. Names they retain today.
The "High Road", now known as Parramatta Road is believed to have been a travel route prior to the arrival of the first fleet.
John White was a naval officer who returned to England and his family, with a new son leaving behind her sister with their mother.
George Johnston met Ester Abrahams on the boat coming out from England, she was one of the convicts he was guarding. Their home, Annandale House was located in the vicinity of Macaulay St, Albany St, Darley Rd and Percival Road in Stanmore. It was demolished in 1905. more.
When the house was demolished, it was found to have been constructed of cedar, a prize timber. This timber was probably growing within a mile or two of the location of the house. The Johnston's planted Norfolk Island pines to replace the cedar. The cedar rafters, joists, "other scantling" and joinery had been cut with an adze [a tool used for smoothing or carving rough-cut wood in hand woodworking.] as there weren't many saw-pits at the time. Reference: 1914 'PROGRESS OF THE SUBURBS.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 14 March, p. 8, viewed 6 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15469221
Annandale House was demolished around 1905 and many images of the house, family and norfolk islands remain. See: Annandale House
On the walk we came across a survey marker. One of the group informed us that it pointed at the Obelisk. "The Obelisk is the oldest surviving milestone built to mark the place from which all public roads in the Colony were to be measured"...more
The Annandale Post Office, Petersham opened in 1855....more
"The railway is broken down on the country side of Petersham ; embankments washed away ; bridges flooded, and. in short, traffic completely arrested. The telegraph posts are washed away, and tho roads broken into deep ravines"... Source: 1860 'METROPOLITAN.', Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 - 1904), 5 May, p. 2, viewed 24 January, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63597572
Or how about something fabulous for that special day? State Bakery, making wedding cake, c.1914-18. Digital ID: NRS4481 [7_15906] MS5803 pic.twitter.com/BHirH3Ahx3— State Archives NSW (@srnsw) January 6, 2017
Main bakehouse, State Bakery, Stanmore, 25 June 1914.— State Archives NSW (@srnsw) January 5, 2017
From the Govt Printing Office glass plate negs
Digital ID: NRS4481 [7_15887] MS3037. pic.twitter.com/DhxY7d4ss5
The State Bakery, in Percival Road*, was opened on 28 February 2014.**
Sources: *1914 'FLOUR, WHEATMEAL, MALT, SUGAR, HOPS, &c., FOR USE AT STATE BAKERY.', Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 - 2001), 25 February, p. 1192. , viewed 06 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article228098248. *1914 'STATE BAKERY.', The Telegraph (Brisbane, Qld. : 1872 - 1947), 28 February, p. 8. , viewed 06 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article179504923.
"The Attorney-General of New South Wales (Mr. Hall) is going to extend the operations of the State bakery at Stanmore to take in a number of private customers. At present the State bakery confines itself to supplying the Government institutions, such as hospitals, and asylums." - 1915 'STATE BAKERY.', The Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), 13 March, p. 25. , viewed 06 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article142969884
State Bakery was sold for £9000 Source: 1929 'STATE BAKERY SOLD', Glen Innes Examiner (NSW : 1908 - 1954), 20 April, p. 1. , viewed 06 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article178584576
"In 1910 a large brick bakery was built on Percival Road"...more
Street view in 1930s.
More about the Stanmore Theatre
The Olympia was built in the 1930s...street view and interior1 and interior 2
"Sth Annandale" Tram on Parramatta Road, in front of Olympia Theatre, just past intersection with Johnston Street (VW Combi parked on Annandale side of Parramatta Road outside the Goodman buildings): photograph
In the 1970s the building was converted into a Roller Skating Rink and it appears from these photographs that the Kids of Wilmont were appealing to Jack Mundey to put a Green Ban on the Skating Rink
This page www.ramin.com.au/stanmore/search-for-source-of-whitescreek-AShortWalk.shtml last updated 4 October 2022.