What's on | Schools | Culture | Community | Walks | Insects | Annandale Heritage Festival | Office Services | Transport | Abode | Water | Plants | Eco Annandale | Birds | History | Info | About & Contact Us
Annandale Short Walk Books and greeting cards are now available from the Annandale Village Newsagency (113 Johnston Street)
Johnston's Creek flows from Petersham under Parramatta Road, past Annandale, Camperdown, Forest Lodge and Harold Park to Rozelle Bay, Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour).
Price: $100 (unframed)
Johnston's Creek was a natural waterway, which flowed into Johnston's Bay, Port Jackson at the Crescent Annandale. It marked the Eastern boundary of the land granted to George Johnston, in the 1790s. The Western Boundary of Johnstone's Annandale Estate was another creek. The estate was subdivided in the latter part of the 19th Century into what is now Stanmore and Annandale.
Camperdown and Forest Lodge are on the Eastern Side of the Creek
Hand coloured linocut print on Canson water colour paper.
Image size 21cm X 15cm.
To improve Sanitation, many natural waterways were converted into concrete and brick channels in Sydney. The creation of the channels straightened and deepened the natural waterway and the boundaries of the suburbs were adjusted to reflect this. The Canal is tidal upto the old shoreline of Johnston's bay.
Johnstone's Bay Storm-water Sewers Act 1894 No 28a (From New South Wales Acts As Made; 4 KB) AUSTLII
Johnston's Creek became Johnstons Creek Stormwater Channel No 55.
The Johnston's Creek Storm Water Channel now forms a boundary of Annandale, Forest Lodge, Camperdown and Stanmore. Orphan School Creek, now an underground channel and surface swale (a rock-lined stormwater system), feeds into Johnston's Canal at the Southern end of Wigram Road.
It wasn't until 1936, that the Eastern Boundary of Annandale was adjusted to follow the Canal line instead of the natural waterway line...1936 Alteration to [Annandale Borough] boundary with City of Sydney
Linocut print, water based ink on Canson water-colour paper.
Image size 15cm X 20cm.
There are four road bridges over Johnston's Creek. The Annandale Bridge at Paramatta Road, Booth Street, the Crescent and one to Harold Park. The reconstructed 1890 truss bridge near the mouth of the canal is now a footbridge.
22 November 2011: "we have received further advise from our water services coordinator that the lid to the drainage canal is not suitable nor permissible access for pedestrians' nor bicycle access. As we were informed that the water board dose not provide access points for pedestrians nor Bicycles along the canal and indeed the canal in many area has no lid. Evidence of this can be seen from the barricade erected at the end of McCarthy Lane along with the deviation of the Lane height to the canal lid which is in excesses of 500mm with no obvious path or steps.
Given the facts we see no other choice other than to prepare our sec 96 application deleting the proposed bicycle and pedestrian walk way connecting Parramatta road to the canal and landscaping the area in question...re:DA sec 96, 1-13 Parramatta Road, Annandale (0011434F.001.htm viewed 20 February 2012)
Ordinary Meeting 17th October 1904...That the Glebe Council be asked to cooperate with this Council in the deputation to the Hon. the Minister for public works requesting him to open a road for vehicular traffic along the ....trams-line from Johnston Street Annandale to Ross Stree Forest Lodge. ...requesting the road from Glebe Point to Annandale across the reclaimed land...Annandale Borough Minutes
There are four footbridges across the Canal. The former Federal Park Road Allen Truss Bridge, connects Jubilee Park to Bicentennial Park, near the mouth of the canal. A pedestrian Bowstring Bridge connects the Harold Park to Federal Park and a similar bridge crosses Johnston's creek on the other side of the crescent. A former Tram Bridge provides a pedestrian and cycle route from Minogue Crescent to Taylor Street/Smith and Hogan Park. There is another bridge at Chester Street. South of Chester Street, the canal is covered to Parramatta Road.
A Heavy Rail viaduct, now used for Light Rail, passes over the Channel, between Jubilee Park and Federal Park.
In 1898, the Johnston's Creek Aqueduct was built above the Channel to connect the Western suburbs to the Main sewer line. The Johnston and White's Creek Aqueducts were the first reinforced concrete structure in Australia. 1890s Annandale. There are two heritage listed Sewerage pumping stations along Johnton's creek...more
On 16 September 2009 a shark believed to be 1.8 metres long was sighted in Johnston's Creek...Johnston's Creek's on Wikipedia
More about Johnston's Creek