Each book in this series is a self guided historical walk through Annandale. Each walk explores the people and construction of Annandale. Each book covers two decades of Annandales History a hundred years apart. The first book in the series, 1890s Annandale: A Short Walk, covers the 1790s and 1890s.
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
Aboriginal Australia | 1770-1823 | 1823-1876 | 1876-1889 | 1890-1900 | 1900-1915 | 1916-1930 | 1931-1938 | 1939-1945 | 1945-1955 | 1956-1969 | 1970-1998 | 1998-2007 | 2008-2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
Captains Hunter, Collins & Johnston with Governor Phillip, Surgeon White &c. visiting a distressed female native of New South Wales at a hut near Port Jackson, 1793 trove.nla.gov.au
The arrest of Governor Bligh, 1808 - sl.nsw.gov.au
Johnston's Estate, Annandale, 1877 / Samuel Elyard - sl.nsw.gov.au
Victorian Two Story Residence with iron lace trimmings.
The timber ceiling and woodwork of the 1899 Annandale Chambers (upstairs hall) is very similar to the interior of the Hunter Baillie School Hall.
There are examples of Art Noveau Tiles on the fronts of steps of homes in Annandale.
There is a stunning example of Federation Tiles, with Australian Motifs, at 335 Parramatta Road, Leichhardt NSW 2040
Federation architecture featured sandstone, timber fretwork and the motif of the rising sun - to mark the new century. As it became a popular and recognisable architectural style, many earlier and later homes have been "Federated".
The Beale Piano Factory opened by Edmond Barton, Australia's first Prime Minister, in 1902. The adjoining house has a Sandstone Facade.
The Electricity Substation in Johnston Street, built in 1910 and the Water Board pumping stations are examples of Federation architecture featuring sandstone.
The Annandale Police Station has been identified as Federation Queen Anne.
The Empire Hotel and North Annandale Hotel were clad with Art Deco facades. The Royal Theatre once stood next to the Annandale Post Office. The Olympia Theatre, on the Southern side of Parramatta Road, is now apartments.
Blocks of Flats
Owner builder - DIY renovations
ANNANDALE URBAN CONSERVATION AREA is bounded by Parramatta Road, Macquarie Street and White's Creek in the west, Johnston's Creek, in the East, and the shoreline of Rozelle Bay in the North.
One of a number of conservation areas that collectively illustrate the nature of Sydney’s early suburbs and Leichhardt’s suburban growth particularly between 1871 and 1891, with pockets of infill up to the end of the 1930s (ie prior to World War II). This area is important as a well planned nineteenth-century suburb- Area 18 Annandale Conservation Area
The suburb of Annandale is located between the suburbs of Glebe and Leichhardt. Bounded by the City West Link Road to the north and Parramatta Road to the south, Annandale is a small suburb with a very distinct character. This character is shaped by its unique street pattern, dominated by a series of wide, north/south streets, and large terraces and cottages mostly oriented to the east and west....DCP Amendment No. 3 – 7 November 2001
Heritage Items in Annandale are listed in the Annandale Association Register of Buildings, National Trust Register, State Heritage Register (NSW) and Draft Leichhardt Local Environmental Plan 2011 some bear Historic Engineering Plaque
"Technology is the branch of knowledge that deals with science and
engineering, or its practice. It is ever ever-changing and accelerating in
Engineering is the practical application of technology into the social world in which we live.
Industry is the application of technology to produce goods for our social world... - HERITAGE INFORMATION SERIES ENGINEERING AND INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE (2006)
Evidence of Engineering Heritage, in Annandale's footpaths, roads and backyards - there are 19th Century Earthen Ware Storm Water and Sewerage pipes and covers still in operation. Logos and Brandings of Telecom Australia, the PMG, the Sewerage Committee of Sydney City Council, Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board, Gas Street Lighting was replaced by Sydney City Council Electric Light and 1948 Shell as well as Surveyors Markings.. The Creeks have been converted into Storm Water Channels. Horse drawn vehicles gave way to steam, electricity, diesal and gas.
Rozelle Bay was once a busy timber wharf supplying logs for the Beale Piano Factory. Patents for a Cinema Sound System, Steel Piano Frame were commercialised in Annandale and Allen Taylor promoted and benefitted from the exploitation of NSW's Hardwood Timber of NSW and oversaw the deployment of electric light as a Sydney City Council Alderman, while living in Annandale.
Johnstons Creek Sewage Aqueduct, Hogan/Spindlers Park, Off Nelson Street
White’s Creek Sewer [Sewage] Aqueduct
Whites Creek Stormwater Channel
Sewage Pumping Stations
2-12 JOHNSTON STREET GOODMAN'S BUILDINGS
ALBION STREET Houses at 92-100
25-31: ANNANDALE PUBLIC SCHOOL
36, 38- 40, 42, 46, 48, 50-52 Houses
COLLINS STREET CORNER: HUNTER BAILLIE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Police Station at corner of Annandale and Collins Street
St. Brendans Church St Joseph's Convent 36 Collins Street St. Brendon's Parish Home 34 Collins Street
Semi Detached Villas at 13 & 15 COLLINS STREET, once the Annandale Post Office
Electricity Substation No. 122 (12 Collins Street)
79 ANNANDALE NEIGHBOURHOOD CENTRE formerly the Annandale Borough Chambers
81A Annandale Uniting Church and Victory Hall
99-103 The Colanade
Annandale Post Office, cnr Booth Street
Electricity Substation No. 15
PIPER STREET CORNER, Hinsby Reserve and War Memorial
198-212 NORTH ANNANDALE PUBLIC SCHOOL
260-266 & 270-272 KENILWORTH, Henry Parkes' Residence at 260; HIGHROYD and HOCKINGDON known as the Witches' Houses; RATHO formerly GREBA; OYBIN; THE ABBEY(272).
Sandstone retaining wall and steps (just after 300) Bayview Crescent Iron Palisade fence (remnant of John Young's property
"Railway Truss Bridge: "The Annandale (Johnston Street) underbridge was constructed in c1920-21 as the final part of the Metropolitan Goods Line linking the Darling Harbour Goods Yard with the Rozelle Yard...an example of a modified Pratt-truss design bridge. The Pratt truss design was preferred for railway use in NSW after 1892, with riveted-steel construction for railway bridges becoming the standard from this time. " - www.heritage.nsw.gov.au
Sandstone retaining wall(The Crescent)
NELSON STREET HOUSES at 11A,133-135
TAYLOR STREET OFF, IN HOGAN PARK: JOHNSTON'S CREEK SEWER AQUEDUCT
20, 39-41: HOUSES
43-47: NORTH'S/BEALE'S PIANO FACTORY
VIEW STREET Houses at 24 & 26, 75- 79,82-102
"The Annandale (Railway Parade) railway bridge has local significance as an integral part of a separate railway network built between 1910 and 1922 for freight trains to traverse the metropolitan area independent of the passenger train network...Railcorp S170 Register"
"A single-span, riveted-steel half-through Pratt truss of 27.43 m (90 feet) span across the full width of Railway Parade. The span is supported by brick abutments. Overhead frames carry electric wires for the double-track light rail system which crosses the bridge." (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=4803231, viewed 7 Jan 2013)
Viaduct Federal Park
Railway Parade Row of mature phoenix canariensis palms defining open space and associated with Inter War Period plantings.www.heritage.nsw.gov.au
ANNANDALE STREET Houses at 181,214,342,345,352-354