1930s Annandale: A Short Walk
A self guided walk exploring 1930s Annandale.
National Library of Australia Catalog & Citation
- E-Book 2016 (ISBN 978-1-326-29191-4)
- Paperback 2016 (ISBN 978-1-326-29190-7)
Annandale, NSW, 1930s, Film, Sound, Radios, Theatre, Pianos, Sewing Machines, Plywood, Beale Pianos, Sewing Machines, Radios, Raycophone, Annandale Hotel, Victoria Hotel, North Annandale, Empire Hotel, Art Deco, Industry
About the Book
This book takes you back to Annandale of the 1930s and 1830s. Westgate was a shopping destination and Annandale a hub of industry. The Westgate Shop owners staged a street wedding. The Beale factory was churning out pianos, sewing machine and radio cabinets. The Raycophone company was fitting radios into Beale's plywood cabinets and manufacturing Theatre sound equipment.
1930s Annandale saw the rise of the car and demise of iron lace verandahs. Pianos, radios, movie sound equipment, gun sights, jam and confectionery were made in Annandale.
Amy Hudson picked up a bat and ball and went on to tour with the Australian Cricket Team. Westgate was the place to shop.
Back in the 1830s, a toll turnpike was installed on Parramatta Road and the Johnstone clan expanded their landholdings...
Images, References and Further Reading
- Gothic Revival church with very tall steeple with four minor spires - Hunter Baillie Church, Annandale (1930s ?) (hood_07932)
- Beale Piano Company veneer and plywood logs being unloaded from barge - Annandale, Sydney, NSW (c 1930) (bcp_04692)
- Draftsmen Beale Piano Factory - Annandale, Sydney, NSW (ca. 1930) (bcp_04693)
- Long shot exterior of the factory, showing surrounding district (for Building Publishing Co) (11/1938) (hood_09418)
- Annandale Olympia (External Shot) Digital Order No a301113
- Annandale Olympia (Internal Shot) Digital Order No a301114
- The Annandale Hotel; night shot (1930s ?) (hood_07153)
- Westgate Street Wedding
- 1938, English, Photograph edition: Plumley, Alfred - Postmaster Annandale
- AH Daniels of Annandale Club on 400 yard mound (9 Oct 1934)
- 1939, English, Photograph edition: BURNS JACK ROWLAND : Service Number - NX70405 : Date of birth - 02 Apr 1913 : Place of birth - ANNANDALE NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - BURNS ALBERT
- REIN JOHN ANTHONY : Service Number - 423894 : Date of birth - 26 Sep 1921 : Place of birth - ANNANDALE NSW : Place of enlistment - SYDNEY : Next of Kin - REIN J - black and white ID print - portrait [sub item]
- Victoria Hotel, Annandale, 1930,
Marghanita guided this walk as part of the Annandale Heritage Festival at 11am-12.30pm Thursday 16 April 2015 from Euroespresso, 165 Parramatta Road, Annandale Cost: $10 Bookings Preferred: 0414-869202 or email@example.com