Map of Grant to William Bligh, 10 August 1836 showing Water Street, Rose Street, Elizabeth St and Parramatta Road, Camperdown: http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/album/albumView.aspx?itemID=1226763&acmsid=0 1846 Map at New TollGate showing new Bridge over new straightened Parramatta Road - http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-f568-sd-cd
In 1886 Plumber and Gasfitter J McGregor described their new larger premises as opposite Gehrig's Wine Stores in Pyrmont Bridge Road.1 In 1888 Henry Gehrig wine and spirit merchant was at Pyrmont Bridge Road Camperdown.2 1886 Map shows Caraher's soap works - (eastern side of Pyrmont Bridge Road where it joins Parramatta Road, virtually opposite Fowler's Pottery. On the Western corner is McBride's Hotel. The Map was advertising land between Water Street and Johnston's Creek and Pyrmont Bridge Road and Rose Street.
In 1863, the vineyards of the Murray and Ovens included 2 acres of 3,4 and 5 year old vines, belonging to Mr Gehrig Senior, producing 1140 gallons of wine and half an acre, belonging to Mr Gehrig Junior, producig 540 gallons.3 While in 1867, Mr Gehrig of Albury claimed to have found a cure for Cumberland disease (Anthrax) and was willing to share it for a fee.4
The "Fashionable Wedding at Camperdown" of James Larkin and Miss E Gehrig took place in November 1889. After a ceremony in the Catholic church on Missenden Road, with three priests officiating, the reception was held at the Camperdown Town Hall. The bride wore rich white satin, with silk trimmings and a wreathe of orange blossom and was attended by five bridesmaids in blue and pink. After the wedding breakfast, the bride and groom left for Katoomba. In the evening the guests danced to the strains of Mr Boxall's band.5
In 1890 Charles Gehrig, of Albury Wine Cellars, Pyrmont Bridge road registered a patent for "an improved method and apparatus for the treat ment of wine".6
The Taylor Street and Gehrig branch of the Johnstone's Creek stormwater channel was completed in September 1900. This would have put the stream shown on the map underground.7
In 1910 Charles Gehrig, who was described as "the well known wine merchant of Camperdown" was attacked as he was entering his Drumoyne Home. He could offer the police no possible motive for the attack.8
In 1927, Gehrig NSW Wines Limited advertised a float of 100,000 shares to raise £100,000 with an abridged prospectus in the Brisbane Courier.9
General Meeting of the Members of Caldwell's Wines Limited at 74 Bridge Road, called by Liquidator on 29 October 1920.10
Spirit Merchant's License granted to Caldwell's Wines (Limited), 74-82 Pyrmont Bridge road, Camperdown from 12 Oct 1919 to 11 Oct 1920.11
For the festive board at Christmas time, Caldwell Wines recommended their gold medal winning port, sherry and hock along with their Muscat, Madeira, Golden Tokay, Frontignao and white Muscatel. They also stocked sparkling wines, brandy etc. "Australian wines have now a very high reputation in Europe, and are much prized by connoisseurs for their flavour and bouquet. -Wine is considered an eminently suitable drink for Australians. Anyone requiring supplies or a price list could contact Caldwell's Wines, Ltd., 74-82 Bridge Road, Camperdown, Sydney.12
Caldwell's wines exhibited their Royal reserve ports and sherries and "Oronga " an orange wine cocktail in an attractive display in the new wine pavilion at the Royal Easter Show. Their brandy wasn't bottled or sold until it was a few years old.13
In 1951, issued ordinary and preference shares to increase their capital from £192,326 to £260,000 - Caldwell's Wines Ltd.14
Wayward Brewery had a soft launch on Sunday 13 September 2015.
Leichhardt Fringe closing party and Fast Art Awards 2-8pm Sunday 27 September 2015. Wayward Brewery 1 Gehrig Lane Camperdown.
This page www.ramin.com.au/camperdown/from-wine-merchants-wax-tank-to-boutique-brewery.shtml last updated 8 November 2016.