1 July 2007
SOILS, CATCHMENTS & CREEKS
by Ted Floyd
2 Whites Creek, Lilyfield
3 Water Cycle in Urban Catchments
4 Soil Water
Whites Creek flows between the old Sydney suburbs of Lilyfield and Annandale. The creek is now a concrete drain with no natural features. The water is polluted, flash floods occur and wildlife is hard to find.
The ecology of urban creeks can be improved by mimicking nature in all stages of the water cycle. In Whites Creek valley the community has planted native trees and initiated the establishment of a constructed wetland.
Soils are an important, but poorly understood component of the water cycle. Careful management of garden soils improves water infiltration , reduces flooding and increases water available for plant growth.
The experience gained will help similar projects in Sydney. Whites Creek is now a stormwater drain and with a lot of tender loving creekcare an urban bushcreek will be created.
Ted Floyd created the original concept for Whites Creek Wetland in 1996. In 2007, prepared "Creekcare in Suburban Sydney".
Bibliography and References
- Geology of the Sydney 1:100 000 Sheet, Department of Mineral Resources NSW, 1983.
- Soils Landscapes of the Sydney 1:100 000 Sheet, G.A. Chapman and C.L. Murphy, Soil Conservation Service of NSW, 1989.
Sydney Climatic Survey NSW, Bureau of Meteorology, 1991.
- Taken for Granted - the bushland of Sydney and its Suburbs, Doug Benson and Jocelyn Howell, 1990.
- Water Conservation Through Good Design, Western Australian Water Resources Council 1986.
- Managing Urban Stormwater, Harvesting and Reuse, Department of Environment and Conservation NSW 2006.
- Soils, Their Properties and Management, PEV Charman and BW Murphy, Ed. Sydney University Press 1991.
- Creating an urban wildspace DVD al media productions 2004.
- Additional reports by Ted Floyd
- Water is life - Whites Creek Catchment, A series of three leaflets describing how to restore urban waterways by maintaining healthy soils. Friends of the Earth Sydney, 1996.
- Soil Water Infiltration, Stormwater Industries Association, Annual Conference, Sydney, Sept. 1996.
- Transpiration Benefits for Urban Catchment Management, Stormwater Industries Association, Bulletin No 92, Aug. 2001.
- Urban Catchments Enhanced by Green Corridors, Stormwater Industries Association, Bulletin No 108, Dec. 2002.
- Suburban Water Harvesting, Stormwater Industruies Assocation Bulletin No 129 Aug 2005.
- Australia - restoring wetlands, Friends of the Earth International, Amsterdam. Link Issue 102, January 2003.
- Conserving Sydney's Whites Creek Wetlands, NSW, Page 23, Wetlands Australia
National Wetlands Update 2009, Issue No. 17, Annual update for Australia's wetland community, January 2009, ISSN 1446-4843
Contact Ted Floyd
Post: PO Box 83 Balmain 2041