Annandale on the Web
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
Covid-19: NSW Government Health and Economic Advice | World Health Organisation | Australian Governement
Leichhardt Council Draft Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2010-14.
Extract below, for full report (7.5MB) and more information, including access to hard copies see www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au
Comments by Marghanita da Cruz, below
Call for Comments Closed Friday 1st October 2010
Report to Council Meeting 23rd November 2010 -see item 16 ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGY - EXHIBITION FEEDBACK AND ADOPTION OF STRATEGY at Ordinary Meeting Agenda
Leichhardt 2020+ requires that the outcomes from the Strategic Service Plans are integrated
into actions within annual budgets and programs in the Council's Management Plan and other
operational business plans.
A Sustainability Work Group chaired by the General Manager and involving management
representatives from all key work areas of the Council has been established to allocate
responsibility for actions and monitor outcomes. In particular the group is responsible for
ensuring that actions are integrated into the Delivery Plan during the budgetary process and
operational business plans.
To increase accountability there are several outcome reporting processes:
- Quarterly progress reports to the Environment and Recreation Committee tied in with the
internal Delivery Plan reporting process
- The annual State of the Environment Reports
- Use of headline indicators, where such indicators exist for particular themes in the Strategy.
Regarding indicators specifically it should be noted that these can be based either output
focussed or outcomes focussed. Output indicators typically describe a task that an organisation
undertakes for example the provision of new cycling facilities, rainwater harvesting tanks or
installation of energy efficient fittings within buildings. Outcome indicators report more directly
upon the end result of such actions - for example the number of cyclists using cycle facilities, or
the amount of mains potable water or energy conserved through installation of water or energy-
Using these indicator performance criteria, the following core outcome indicators have been
selected for the strategy:
Theme - Land
- Area of public open space available per resident within the local government area
Theme - Climate Change and Air Quality
- Total corporate carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2-e) emissions generated, in tonnes, from Council assets and operations
- Total fleet fuel usage, in litres per annum, from council's passenger and heavy vehicle fleet
- Total fleet CO2-e emissions per annum for council's passenger and heavy vehicle fleet
- Total electricity usage, in kilowatt hours per annum, of the local government area
Theme - Transport
- Number of cars in council's passenger fleet
- Number of reported motor vehicle accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists
- Number of publicly accessible parking spaces dedicated to car share schemes
- Number of cyclists recorded, at nominated sites for set time periods, via Council's annual cycle counts
- Use of light rail services, assessed by patronage at individual stops during nominated peak hours
- Number of Leichhardt residents, based on postcode, who are members of Car Share schemes that provide services in the Leichhardt Council area
- Department of Transport vehicle counts on arterial roads in Leichhardt LGA
Theme - Water
- Leichhardt Council mains potable water usage per annum, in kilolitres, from Council assets and operations (data source: Sydney Water)
- Leichhardt local government area mains potable water usage per annum, in kilolitres (data
source: Sydney Water)
- Average household (single dwelling) mains potable water usage per annum in kilolitres (data
source: Sydney Water)
- Average household (unit/flat dwelling) mains potable water usage per annum in kilolitres (data
source: Sydney Water)
Theme - Biodiversity
- The total area of land, in hectares, dedicated
to bushland revegetation
- The number of regular volunteers
participating in Bushcare activities
- The total number of maintained
- The range of native bird species
recorded, at nominated sites, as
recorded by professional
Theme - Waste and Consumption
- Overall amount of waste and
recycled materials (Recycling,
Domestic Waste Collected, Garden
Organics, White Goods and General
Household Clean Up)- in kilograms per
- Percentage of domestic waste diverted
from land fill.
Full report (7.5MB) and more information available at www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au
Comments by Marghanita da Cruz (resident Annandale)
- Penrith City provides nice reports on their sustainability performance on their Website
- Waste has to be per household not per resident. How will household on site composting be accounted for in Percentage of waste diverted from land fill?
- Budget allocation to maintenance of public open space per eg hectare of seating, verge, footpaths, bushland, parkland, bus shelters, rubbish bins, toilets, etc (include cost of support of volunteers, lawn cutting, tree trimming, revenue).
- Bus and Ferry usage seems to have been omitted - there needs to be data on the convenience of street furniture and
shelter provided by council to the community - ie how many bus shelters and crossings are actually at bus stops -
rather than some way away and obstructing passengers convenience. as is the case on Booth Street
- Average walking distance for all residents to Public Open Space, Recreation, Library, Neighbourhood Centres. Survey users of council activities on how they get to facilities or activity - walk, drive, public transport, cycle.
- Report on Support (promotion through website/newsletters) of environmental campaigns eg walk to work and school days.
- Clear quarterly reporting on website see www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au Sustainability Indicators as a nice example of a good website report)
- Evaluate The Sydney Sustainability Scorecard (Warren Centre ISSUE 45, February 2006) indicators for inclusion.
- Demand for paper copies of content available on website due to improved accessibility of information on website.
- Council needs to do an ICT Energy and Website Accessibility Audits
- E-Waste (Fluroscent Lightbulbs, Batteries, TVs, Computer, electrical goods) Program
- Energy and Water Rating improvements acheived by approved DAs
- Air Craft Count for both runways
- Noise Complaints & Resolution - from construction (DA Compliance), amplified noise, heavy vehicle, etc
- Audits of Waste to estimate unsolicited Advertising material, such as Wrapped (unopened) Yellow Pages in Paper Recycling or Unseparated Waste
Say No to printed Phone Books
I'd like to I'd like to cancel delivery of Yellow Pages® and White Pages® books
Self Guided Illustrated Historical Walks
Each book in this series is a self guided historical walk through Annandale. Each walk explores the people and construction of Annandale. Each book covers two decades of Annandales History a hundred years apart. The first book in the series, 1890s Annandale: A Short Walk, covers the 1790s and 1890s...more.