Annandale NSW Australia -33.8814; 151.1707
Annandale on the Web
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
50s Annandale: A Short Walk
Marghanita da Cruz will present a virtual tour of 1850s and 1950s Annandale. In the 1850s, a new Train line passed through the Annandale Estate and William Stanley Jevons came to live at Annangrove Cottage on the Parramatta Road.
Jevons left us descriptions of Annangrove and his walks home to the new Royal Mint where he worked as an Assayer.
Horse Drawn, Steam and electric Trams have all transported passengers along Parramatta Road until the 1950s.
This virtual tour will form the basis of Marghanita's seventh book in a series which presents Annandale's History as Short Walks.
At the end of the talk, there will be an opportunity to inspect the historic cottage and nearby sites.
Date: 2-4pm Saturday 29 April 2017
Location: Tetch Gallery, Annangrove Cottage, 245 Parramatta Road Annandale
Price: $15/$10 Concession
Bookings & Enquiries: 0414-869202, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Time, Places or People.
Restoration of Hill and Son Organ
After 20 years of fund raising the Hill and Son Organ, at the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Memorial Presbyterian Church's , Annandale, is being restored. The fund raising and restoration is under the watchful eye of resident organist Ralph Lane.
"Thanks to the generosity of the many musicians who have donated their services to the cause of the Organ Restoration Fund, and the patronage of a loyal and enthusiastic audience, we have raised over $85,000 in thirteen seasons of our Spring Festival of Music." With matching grants from the Heritage Council of NSW, the Choir and Swell Cornopean stop were restored in February 1997. In the next stage of the restoration the Great Trumpet rank was sent to the UK. - In dulci jubilo, a recording to support the organ restoration, http://www.hunterbaillie.org.au/organ.htm, viewed 1 October 2016
Rejuvinated pipes November 2016
In late September 2016, the final stage of the restoration including the replacement of the bellows leather began. The work will cost around $140,000. - Ralph Lane, 30 September 2016 (pers com)
Spring Festival of Music
Some of the Concerts.
- Oct 27, 1995 - PIANIST IN CHURCH Pianist Roger Woodward plays music from Haydn to Debussy for the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Spring Festival - Page 83, The Sydney Morning Herald, Friday, October 27, 1995, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/120354602/, viewed 1 Oct 2016
- Herscovitch, D. (2003). Comfort Zone. Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Spring Festival of Music 2003. Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Church, Sydney, Australia: Unknown. - http://sydney.edu.au/music/staff-profiles/daniel.herscovitch.php, viewed 1 October 2016
- 3pm 30 November 2008
Leichhardt Espresso Chorus - http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/11/leichhardt-espresso-chorus-30-november.html, viewed 1 Oct 2016
- Sunday, 22 November 2009
The Song Company under the direction of Roland Peelman. Vocal music from the ensemble's eclectic repertoire will include Benjamin Britten's Hymn to St Cecilia. Britten was born on St. Cecilia's Day,
http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/11/last-hunter-baillie-spring-concert.html, viewed 1 Oct 2016
- 7 December 2009
Kirsten Williams, violin & Jane Rosenson, harp: Bach, Elgar, Kreisler, Saint-Saens, Westlake and Gershwin, - http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/09/annandale-2008-spring-festival-of-music.html, viewed 1 Oct 2016
- 18 April 2010
Lurline Chamber Orchestra, Soloist MARIA LINDSAY - VIOLIN; Edward Elgar: Serenade for Strings in E minor, op.20; Andrew Schultz: Willow Bend; Tommy Tycho: Violin Concerto (World Premiere); Gerald Finzi: Prelude; Antonin Dvorak (arr. A & M Lindsay): String Quintet in G minor (World Premiere), http://www.lco.org.au/concert-archive.html, viewed 1 October 2016
- Sunday, 26 September 2010 at 3pm
The Song Company (directed by Roland Peelman) will perform master pieces by Byrd, Weelkes, Monteverdi and the humorous "A Night in Siena" by Orazio Vecchi. Complimentary refreshments from 2.30 pm. - http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/09/24/2969211.htm, viewed 1 October 2016
- Sunday, 24 October 2010, 3pm
Celia Craig, oboe/cor anglais; Amy Johansen, organ. Featured non-Australian music: Marcello, Rheinberger, Noyon, Hakim, Conte,
Featured artists Music of Robert Ampt - http://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/event/hunter-baillie-spring-festival-of-music, viewed 1 October 2016
- 3pm Sunday 21 November 2010
Roger Woodward Plays Chopin - roger-woodward-hunter-baillie-2010.shtml, viewed 1 October 2016
- Sunday, 25 September 2011 at 3pm(complimentary refreshments from 2.30 pm)
Percussionist Claire Edwardes and Christina Leonard to perform solo and duo compositions for marimba and saxophone - http://localnotes.net.au/?p=1841, viewed 1 October 2016
- Sunday, 26 May, 2013 3pm
Roger Woodward - http://blog.tomw.net.au/2013/04/tea-in-church-hall.html, viewed 1 Oct 2016
- 4pm MARCH 15TH 2015
Drought by Lisa Cheney is an Australian composer Lisa Cheney
Choir (SSAATTBB) - Sydney Antiphony - http://www.lisacheney.com.au/#!past-performances/cyir, viewed 1 October 2016
A button found while restoring the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Hill and Son Organ
More about the Organ and Church
- Historical and Technical Documentation by Kelvin Hastie (2005) www.ohta.org.au/confs/Sydney/HUNTERBAILLIEMEMORIAL.html
- THE ORGAN MUSIC SOCIETY OF SYDNEY INC Cover: the Hill organ at the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church's Presbyterian Church's , Annandale. Courtesy Pastór de Lasala - http://sydneyorgan.com/SOJINDEX.pdf, viewed 1 October 2016
- 3pm Sunday 23 February 2014, 125th Anniversary of Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church.For a century and a quartermore
- A service was held at 3pm Sunday 28 February 2010 to mark the 121st Anniversary of the opening...more