Annandale on the Web
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
By Time, Places, People or Events.
White's Creek, Valley and Wetlands
Parklands | Wetlands | History
In 1788 John White, was the surgeon on the first fleet and then Surgeon General to the colony of New South Wales until he returned to England in 1794, with an New South Wales born son. White received two grants the first grant, was 100 acres, between what is now parramatta road and petersham station, which he named Hammond Hill Farm. In 1822, White's land grants were sold to Edward Redmond, in 1822, a year before White's son returned to New South Wales. Rachel Turner, the convict mother of White's son, married Thomas Moore in January 1797. White left us a journal of his journey to New South Wales...more
In 1799 Captain Piper, E.N., was given a large section ...more
George Johnston supervised the transportation of convicts in the first fleet. On Australia Day 1808, Lieutenant Colonel George Johnston led the so called Rum Rebellion against Governor Bligh. George Johnston died in 1823, preceded by his eldest son, and the property passed to his second son Robert...more
This Plan of the Piperston suburban allotments near Sydney For sale by Mr Stubbs on the 14 of March 1842. E.J.H. Knapp, Surveyor. shows Austenham, the Seat of Capt SA Perry, Garry Owen the Seat of JR Brenan ESQ PM, Mr Lloyd, WM Kenzie Esq JP, Annandale Estate of Robert Johnston ESQ and White's Creek - which is labeled Johnstone's Creek probably indicating ownership rather than its name.
"XXIV. IMPORTANT ALLOTMENTS, comprised in the eastern portion of the estate towards Johnstone's Creek, eligibly situated for carrying out the design of pleasant and desirable VILLA RESIDENCES. Note.-The habitual accuracy and soundness of judgment in all those persons who have invested their money in the purchase of the Piperston property, is every day becoming more apparent. As a neighbourhood it is the finish of all suburban appreciation or else we should not find such noble and expensive establishments, mansions, and villa residences as those of James Norton, Esq., the Annandale, Captain Perry's, Ryan Brenan's, Esq., and other gentlemen, not to leave out Titterton's valuable property, and Lloyd's grants. The various streets, as laid down on the map, explain the general access to the Parramatta Road and also to the Creek. The estate is popularly known as PIPERSTONS'S AND DIGGER'S GRANT, a very old selection of the Petersham Estate, and must be familiar to every individu
al at all cognizant of the value of land so near Sydney as this is. Terms will be most liberal, and made known at time of sale." - 1843 'Advertising.', Australasian Chronicle (Sydney, NSW : 1839 - 1843), 10 January, p. 3, viewed 7 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31738497
Sale on the Piperston Estate, Petersham 23rd day of January, 1843...
Lots 28 to 30 are irregular plots of land, with frontages to the same reserved road leading to Parramatta-street.
Lots 31 to 37 are upon High-street [Catherine Street], with Johnstone's Creek at their back.
Lots 38 to 40 are with: frontages on Piper. astreet, with the same access., .
Lot 41 is a large corner piece of land of twelve acres, with reserved access to Piper street and appears the commencing point of land of Johnstone's Bay. There are several water-courses described on tihe property; two of which are crossed by High Street…
whilst 'n the easterly side: of the same street it inclines towards the creek side to a light sandy soil; lot 41 being partially a flat tea tree brush, as before stated,; a small farm of twelve acres acres. 1842 'Advertising.', Australasian Chronicle (Sydney, NSW : 1839 - 1843), 22 February, p. 3, viewed 28 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31735106
Parramatta Road crossing upper Western Tributary of White's Creek (1850s)
Subdivision along White's Creek between Piper and Elswick (now Hill) Street 1857?
Surveyor's notes. possibly 1857 (metadata(map) and more notes
"Beames had bought what was then known as the Piperston Estate. As an acknowledgement of the support that Beames had shown, Leichhardt named a tributary of the Albert River in Queensland ; Beames Brook. Beames, in turn, renamed Piperston to Leichhardt, and when the estate was subdivided in 1849, the area became known as Leichhardt Town"...http://localnotes.net.au/?tag=piperston-estate
"PURE WATER--LEICHHARDT TOWN
Intending purchasers at the Sale of the Allot- ments in Leichhart Town, to take place ON THE GROUND, at 11 o'clock, THIS DAY, tho 15th January, are reminded that White's Creek forms the eastern boundary of Leichhardt, and that the whole of the inhabitants of Petersham and surrounding neighbourhood ARE SUPPLIED FROM THE STREAM. This fact is brought forward for tho information of those unaquainted with the locality." - 1855 'Advertising.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 15 January, p. 7, viewed 7 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12964359
1850 - 1859 Map showing White's Creek dammed at Styles Street
"The Mayor for annandale (Alderman Allen Taylor) brought up a special minute at the last meeting of the Annandale council respecting the question of the consruction of the whites creek storm water channel..." - The Sydney Morning Herald 18 February 1898 page 8
1890s Navigable almost to Hudson Street
White and Johnston's Creek Aqueducts including creek beds and banks.
Elevation of White's Creek and Johnstone's Creek aqueducts (Proceedings of the Engineering Association 1895-6): X - Monier structures. (1.4MB PDF)
Wishaw Dairy, 31 White Street
James Brownlee was born in Hamilton, Scotland. He left Scotland with his parents James Brownlee and Catherine Bell Duncan and brother, Robert Duncan Brownlee. The family sailed settled in Dunedin, New Zealand before moving to John Street, Leichhardt in 1884. James was dux of Kegworth School. When his father died James left school to work to help support his family including helping his mother to run Wishaw Dairy, on the banks of White's Creek. In 1902, Catherine signed the dairy over to James by lease of personality. The dairy remained in his hands until the early fifties, when his son William Robert Brownlee took over. more
Robert started a box factory in Annandale around the turn of the century. Elizabeth Mary Somerville Brownlee was born 30 July 1885 at John Street, Leichhardt, N.S.W. Lived in White Street, Annandale..more
"At about 1 a.m. to-day a fire broke out in Bromley's (Brownlee's) Federal Box Factory, Susan-street, Annandale, near Parramatta Road." 1912 'BOX FACTORY ALIGHT.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 15 May, p. 19, viewed 8 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15336697
Redmond's Estate on the hill for auction 9th May 1903
Sales plan for land bounded by North Avenue, South Avenue and Catherine Street, Leichhardt. The plan shows proposed bridges where North and South Avenues meet White's Creek. There is a "Building covenant for protection of buyers. All buildings erected upon this land must be of brick or stone and of a value of not less than £150"..http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-lfsp1291
White's Creek becomes Stormwater Channel 95
Whites Creek Stormwater Channel No 95 between Railway Parade and Parramatta Road) was constructed between 1898 and 1935. The Rozelle Bay to Booth Street segment was constructed in 1898. Styles Street to Ferris Lane was constructed in 1909. Booth Street and Hill Street to beyond Styles Street was completed in 1925. IN 1935, the walls between Piper Street and Parramatta Road were as part of the Unemployment Relief Program....more
White's Creek Aqueduct
The White's Creek Aqueduct carries sewage safely over the creek.
"The Whites Creek Sewage Aqueduct was completed in 1897 and is a major and highly visible component of the Northern Main Sewer extension of the Bondi Ocean Outfall Sewer...."http://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/Heritage-search/heritage-detail/index.htm?heritageid=4570954
White's Creek becomes Stormwater Channel 95
- Rozelle Bay to Booth Street segment was constructed in 1898.
- Styles Street to Ferris Lane was constructed in 1909.
- Booth Street and Hill Street to beyond Styles Street was completed in 1925.
- In 1935, the walls between Piper Street and Parramatta Road were raised as part of the Unemployment Relief Program
- Source (also includes 1898 photo of Aqueduct and Valley):Heritage item Number 4570343 Whites Creek Stormwater Channel No 95 http://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/Heritage-search/heritage-detail/index.htm?heritageid=4570343
Booth Street Bridge
"STRENGTHENING WHITE'S CREEK BRIDGE.
The Department of Public Works has in formed Annandale Council, in reply to a depu tation which recently waited on the Chief Engineer tor Railways and Tramways, that the renewal of a portion of the bridge over White's Creek for tramway purposes has not weakened the structure, and therefore there is no justification, for any grant or subsidy for making good the alleged damage. The bridge in question is being altered for the purpose of carrying the extension of the tramline from Johnston-street, Annandale, to Lilyfield." 1908 'STRENGTHENING WHITE'S CREEK BRIDGE.', Evening News (Sydney, NSW : 1869 - 1931), 22 December, p. 3, viewed 8 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113762099
- Circa 1898 Photo of Creek and Aqueduct
- 02- Drainage Tunnels
- Sydney Water S170 Heritage Register Whites Creek SWC No. 95 (560kb PDF)
- Photographs of White's Creek Aqueduct and Johnston Creek Aqueduct were constrcuted in 1896 and 1897 respectively. They were the first reinforced concrete structures in Australia. They were constructed as an extension of the Bondi Sewerage Outlet to divert sewerage from harbour outpours.
- 1949 Aerial Photograph of Annandale showing White's Creek, Johnston Street, Collins Street, Parramatta Road, Booth Street, Piper Street, Trafalgar, Annandale Street etc.
- White's Creek Catchment Study. Heritage Assessment.(1990)
- Map showing Macquarie Street (formerly James St), Albion, Catherine, Hearne and Emily...Leichhardt Parish of Petersham County of Cumberland, Plan of application No. 12367 at Leichhardt with adjoining landholders (ie John Piper Grant). (1902)
- "A comprehensive study of the Whites Creek catchment"...International Symposium on Urban Stormwater Management: Preprints of Papers, 1992 (1992 )
White St Public House
Swamp is source of White's Creek
Leichhardt Library Collection
Wells, Reservoirs, Tanks and Sydney's water supply
- Petocz D. A Well in Rozelle: Report of the Excavation and Analysis of the Well at 63 Nelson Street, Rozelle, N.S.W.. 1984. NSW Archaeology Online: Grey Literature Archive http://dx.doi.org/10.4227/11/5045A705D9FDB
- Rare Sandstone Wall (1990) Catchment Study -Thorp W. White's Creek Catchment Study. Heritage Assessment.. 1990. http://dx.doi.org/10.4227/11/504596EC61B2
- Photograph of Old fashioned hand water-pump above a well (circa 1930) Hood, Sam, 1872-1953 SL NSW hood_06714
- Cowan – Israel Soap and Candleworks, Johnston's Point:
“Near to this place are two reservoirs of water, the larger of which is cut in the solid rook, and measures 100 feet by 6O,,with depth of twenty feet ; these are kept constantly full by surface drainage from the high land near.” 1864 'COLONIAL INDUSTRY.', Empire (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1875), 12 May, p. 5, viewed 5 November, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60582637
- “The premises are plentifully supplied with water from a large underground tank.” 1867 'Advertising.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 12 October, p. 10, viewed 5 November, 2014,
- MAIN BALMAIN ROAD, opposite its junction with the reserved road leading to Helsariiiel, the property of G. W. Lord, Esq ; together with the genteel verandah COTTAGE residence erected tho'oon, containing passage, four rooms, and kitchen, with stable, Bhcd, &o A never failing supply of water is obtained from a bricked cemented reservoir, estimated to contain nearly 2000 gallons. This is a very desirable small suburban residence, conveniently situated within easy walking distance of the Petersham railway station and tho omnibus stand at Petersham. The land is good, and well adapted for an orchard and garden. Plan at the Rooms. - 1867 'Advertising.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 12 October, p. 10, viewed 5 November, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28607742
- The Balmain Council Clerk wrote in his submission to the Sydney Water Supply Commission, to support the municipality's case for a connection to mains water: “The municipality is supplied at present by private wells, rain water collecting off roofs in tanks and by a small creek that is fast becoming a second tanks stream… The city council did not even entertain the idea of a pipeline via Glebe Island.” p171 New South Wales. Commission Appointed to Inquire into the Water Supply to the City of Sydney and Suburbs 1869, Report : [minutes of evidence, appx., maps and plans], Sydney http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/34655101
- "Dewatering:Careful attention should be paid during all the investigations stages to measurement of existing groundwater levels, in order to establish whether or not dewaterin si required for construction.
This is particularly important since, if installation of dewatering systems such as well points or deep wells is necessary, the ensuiing drop in the standing water sufrace may result in surface settlement with ensuing damage to adjacent structures unless recharge wells are incorporated between well points and areas to be protected" p 5-15, Gutteridge, Haskins & Davey & New South Wales. Water Board 1990, Whites Creek SWC no.95 catchment management study. Main report, August 1990, Water Board, Sydney, N.S.W
- Oral History - includes description of Bone Boiler trades being carried out along white's creek between Piper Street and Johnston's Bay (Leichhardt).
"Leichhardt Council was keen to shut down the trades along White's creek claiming the smells were offensive, though some came from the Cowan and Israel Soap & Candle works. It emerged that three of the Leichhardt Councillors had shares in the works. Also that refuse from factory washed up on tide up white's creek" - p42, Mitchell, John 2007, Francis Hemming of Leichhardt : a bone boiler, 1810-1883, J. Mitchell, Lidcombe, N.S.W http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/32437241
- In 1996, three brochures produced by Ted Floyd, the convenor of Friends of the Earth. They propose that Annandale's wide streets be converted to water sensitive designs to absorb more water. In 2001, Wetlands were built adjoining the White's Creek channel, at Wisdom Street.
20 years later, Taylor Street - Living Street and other water capturing designs have been incorporated into Arguimbau St (at White's Creek), A wetland has been built at the bottom of Wisdom Street and a delightful crossing of Annandale St on Piper St. Brochures: Floyd, Ted & Gerson, Claire & Friends of the Earth (Sydney, N.S.W.) 1996, Water is life, Friends of the Earth, Sydney, Sydney http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8057026
- "No specific archaeological sites have been identified in this or past studies and no field work has been undertaken in the study area. In Leichhardt the Heritage Study proposed a framework for the management of archaeological sites in the development process rather than attempting to identify the individual, and largely invisible, resource. It has been noted, however, that nearly all of the sites identified as inventory items could and are likely to contain sub-surface evidence of past use and occupation that could be exploited in an archaeological manner to provide evidence of past activity.
The Leichhardt framework, which has not been formally adopted by Council at this time, recommends a course of action commensurate with the chronological age of the item or area to be disturbed, age being the only indicator of possible rarity. Until a specific proposal is defined it is impossible to determine a likely archaeological resource underlying the heavily developed urban area.”– White's Creek Catchment Study: Heritage Assessment pg 22 (Special Environment Programme, Catchment Management Study, Whites Creek SWC No 95. Main Report August 1990 Water Board/New South Wales Gov.
- "Drawing of Old Spear Pump.Dug out of Excavation in Wynyard Park Site of Old Military Barracks - pump constructed under direction of Mr.Busby in 1828"
- The Balmain Council Clerk wrote in his
submission to the Sydney Water Supply
Commission, to support the municipality's
case for a connection to mains water:
“The municipality is supplied at present
by private wells, rain water collecting off
roofs in tanks and by a small creek that is
fast becoming a second tanks stream...
The city council did not even entertain the
idea of a pipeline via Glebe Island.” p171 of
New South Wales. Commission Appointed to Inquire into the Water Supply to the City of Sydney and Suburbs 1869, Report : [minutes of evidence, appx., maps and plans], Sydney http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/34655101
Presentation to Leichhardt Council HAC 15 November 2014
hac-15Nov2014.pdf (low res) and High res