Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
Contact Us about Advertising here or in email newsletter
Marghanita da Cruz will present a virtual tour of 1850s and 1950s Annandale. In the 1850s, a new Train line passed through the Annandale Estate and William Stanley Jevons came to live at Annangrove Cottage on the Parramatta Road.
Jevons left us descriptions of Annangrove and his walks home to the new Royal Mint where he worked as an Assayer.
Horse Drawn, Steam and electric Trams have all transported passengers along Parramatta Road until the 1950s.
This virtual tour will form the basis of Marghanita's seventh book in a series which presents Annandale's History as Short Walks.
At the end of the talk, there will be an opportunity to inspect the historic cottage and nearby sites.
By Time, Places or People.
Festivals: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011
12-4pm Sunday 15 April 2012
Sandstone Church at the Corner of Collins and Johnston Streets Annandale
Enquiries Telephone: 9969-8071.
The 1889 sandstone Gothic Revival church, with its landmark spire, is considered to be the finest example of its type in Sydney. Opened three years before the Church, the Hunter Baillie School Hall is constructed of "Simplified Gothic polychrome moulded brick with dressed sandstone mullions in the windows and open timbered roof". A Belfry and bell have been removed. Photograph of School Hall, with Belfry and bell, during construction of church.
The majestic William Hill & Son organ was installed in the church in 1892.
by Ralph Lane OAM (Admission free)
CD produced to support the 1890 Hill & Son Organ restoration
In Dulci Jubilo - Organ Music for Christmas
Organist Ralph Lane with The Song Company
The Hunter Baillie Church and School Hall are Listed on the State Heritage Register.
The Listing also notes the influence of John Horbury Hunt in the design of the hall. Hunt crusaded for a return to brickwork and advocated the use of colonial hardwood for building...more
with Marghanita da Cruz, Editor, Annandale on the Web.
Author: 1890s Annandale a Short Walk
The 1 hour Guided walk passes the Federation Queen Anne Police Station, Beale Piano Factory opened by Edmund Barton in 1902 and reflects on the development of Annandale during the first decade of the 20th Century (1900-1910).
Cost: $20 per person (includes afternoon tea, proceeds to conservation of church and hall)
Bookings preferred. Telephone: 9969-8071 or
There are many ways of celebrating our impressive range of heritage places and their special stories...www.environment.gov.au
The Annandale Heritage Festival is part of the National Trust Heritage Festival across NSW 14 - 29 April 2012
'From Aboriginal ingenuity through living on the land, to examples of resourceful 'make do' in hard times, to the creative use of heritage places in the 21st century – the 2012 National Trust Heritage Festival celebrates inspiration and innovation through Australia's heritage, past present and future...National Trust NSW Heritage Festival 2012