Each book in this series is a self guided historical walk through Annandale. Each walk explores the people and construction of Annandale. Each book covers two decades of Annandales History a hundred years apart. The first book in the series, 1890s Annandale: A Short Walk, covers the 1790s and 1890s.
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
Aboriginal Australia | 1770-1823 | 1823-1876 | 1876-1889 | 1890-1900 | 1900-1915 | 1916-1930 | 1931-1938 | 1939-1945 | 1945-1955 | 1956-1969 | 1970-1998 | 1998-2007 | 2008-2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | What's on | Blog
Annandale's Electricity Pioneers | Electricty comes to Annandale | Expansion of Electricity Services in Annandale (1916...) | World First in Solar Energy (1994)
Annandale residents John Young, Charles Highland, Carl Vader and Allen Taylor pioneered the introduction of electricity to Australia. See also 1994 Award for Solar
In 1994, Leichhardt Municipal Council which included (Annandale, Balmain, Glebe and Leichhardt) was awarded the National Energy Award for is Solar Energy Policy. The policy required the installation of Solar Hotwater and the adoption of passive solar design in all new dwellings in the municipality. Planning Instrument DCP 17 was a world first.
This occurred through the advocacy of Friends of the Earth convenor Ted Floyd under the mayorship of Annandale Alderman Larry Hand. (Refs: INTERVIEW WITH TED FLOYD ON 3 JUNE 2004 and Harris, Tony, Primal Socialist Innocence and the Fall
The Garden Palace was constructed by Annandale resident, developer and first mayor John Young, for the Sydney International Exhibition of 1879. Generators were imported from England so that work could be carried out around the clock, and the constuction was completed in 8 months. - A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ELECTRICAL UTILITIES IN NSW (page 2) viewed 15 Nov 2011(www.ewh.ieee.org(PDF)
Charles Highland and Co was located at 98 Market-street (1892 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 26 November, p. 16, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13887692) In November 1892, Charles Highland's eldest daughter Hilda May died her home at 2 Reserve Street Annandale. She was 9 years and 10 days. (1892 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 26 November, p. 1, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13887580) The mourners were asked to meet at Petersham station, from where they would travel to the necropolis at 2pm. Source: 1892 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 26 November, p. 16, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13887692
Following up on a lead from Peter Marosz: In 1894, Annandale resident Charles Highland built a three-wheeled car and fitted it with a Daimler petrol engine. Probably the first car driven by an internal combustion engine in Australia, it was prone to burst into flames and never progressed further than the length of a single street. Two years, later he was more successful with a car he built with a De-Dion engine. Source: The First Holden "1948 - The FX" TOWARDS AN ALL AUSTRALIAN CAR
In 1894, Charles Higland successfully tendered for to install electric lighting in Berima Gaol for £198.Source: 1894 'Public Works Tenders Accepted.', Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940), 25 October, p. 4, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article98509467
Highland installed a 15 horse-power 145 revolutions motor to drive an excelsior patent dynamo at 800 revolutions a minute. Each of the 75 cells had an 8-candle power lamp; two 16 candle power lights were installed in each corridor. There were lights in the hospital, octagon, as well as the governor's offices and residence. The lights were installed by Mr. Charles Highland of Market-street, Sydney and the work was designed and supervised by Mr. Row from the Government architect's office. "Lightning the darkness of prisoners, is decidedly a step in the right direction : and the innovation is due to the exertions of the Hon. R. E. O'Connor, and it is to be hoped that the increased facilities given to the incarcerated for reading, etc., will be largely availed of. [As we have before pointed out a much cheaper motive power would be the manual labor of the prisoners by means of the crank." Source: 1895 'ELECTRIC LIGHT, BERRIMA JAIL.', Goulburn Herald (NSW : 1881 - 1908), 11 February, p. 4, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100449419
In 1894, Messrs Highland and Co installed electric lighting into a ferry for the Balmain Co-operative Ferry. A four horse-power Westinghouse engine drove an Excelsior 600 revolution dynamo to produce a current of 40 amperes at 60 volts. The fittings all came from Highland's workshops, except for the glass which came from the Balmain Co-operative. Messrs. Ross and Duncan contracted for the engine and Mr. Wm. Halliday did the installation. The ferry' speed varied with the wind and tide, but it was claimed it could average 11 knots. The company was protesting a refusal by the Marine Board for the boat to go to Manly. At the launch, Mr J Young responded on behalf of the builders and the electrician Charles Highland also re-sponded. Source: 1894 'THE BALMAIN NEW FERRY COMPANY.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 23 March, p. 7, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13945305
In 1896, while Charles Highland was boating on Rozelle Bay with his son and another boy (1896 'The Rozelle Bay Shooting Case.', Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940), 5 September, p. 4, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article98564081), 16 year old Charles Tifford allegedly shot at them (1896 'Another Shooting "Accident".', Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 - 1904), 31 August, p. 3, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63930893). Tifford was arested and tried (1896 'HORSEPLAY WITH FIREARMS.', Singleton Argus (NSW : 1880 - 1954) , 2 September, p. 2, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article83247724)
In 1896, Higland filed patent No. 6783 for improvements in gas or oil engines or similar motors - August 12.1896 'Patents and Inventions.', Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW : 1870 - 1907), 22 August, p. 36, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71297217
In 1897, William Henry Vidler sought compensation from Charles Highland. Vidler claimed that the gas engine supplied was not what the one he had paid £80 for. The defendent said that he had supplied the four horse-power gas engined with three months guarantee, for proper use and fair wear and tear, but not wilful "breaking". The complaint was that it was not a four horse-power engine and it did not comply with other specifications. Source: 1897 'A Parramatta Law Case.', The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW : 1888 - 1950), 27 March, p. 14, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85766769
William Henry Vidler had purchased the gas engine to drive the refrigeration plant at his large butchering businness at Parramatta. He had been assured it was a four horse-power Stockport gas engine in fair order with a guarantee of ordinary service for three years. However, Vidler had incurred expenses for repairs and extra gas, and was compelled to buy another engine. The jury awarded the £100 damages that were claimed. Source: 1897 'LAW REPORT.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 30 March, p. 4, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14126685
In 1904, Highland appeared as an expert witness in the case of the Kenimbla Motor Car Art Union. It was claimed that the funds from the art union went to the Knowles Automobile Co instead of the Mt Kembla disaster relief as advertised. The value of the car was quoted at £100, however, the same car was offered to a witness for £25. When the witness test drove the car, it barely ran 13 miles. Charles Highland said the car would only run five or six miles with the batteries it. The case was adjourned. Source: 1904 'NEW SOUTH WALES.', Kalgoorlie Western Argus (WA : 1896 - 1916), 9 February, p. 31, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32738749
HIGHLAND.-Juno 17, 1908, Charles John Highland,of No. 2 Reserve-street, Annandale, aged M years.R.I.P. .1908 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 19 June, p. 6, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14939584
In 1901, Messrs. Allen Taylor and Co took guest on on a test run of their new custom built steamer "Hastings", built by Mr. Denis Sullivan, of Camden Haven. Decorated with flags it did nine knots per hour on the test mile. At full throttle it could do 10 knots. The steamer was also rigged as a fore and aft schooner making it an economical vessel. Allen Taylor said the Hastings was a development of the Wootton, whose success was preceded by that of the Annandale. He attached particular reverence to the name Wootton as the ship, [Wooton was also the name of his home in Annandale.] which had contributed to the prosperity of his firm's shipping ventures. The Chapman and Co.'s engines were in her deep aft.The vessel was 125ft long 24ft. 6in beam and the hold was 7ft. 6in deep. 21 passengers could be accomodated in the nicely fitted cabins with cargo space for 100 tons. The hatch was served by quick-working winches and Mr Charles Highland had supplied the electric light fittings throughout the ship. Sourc: 1901 'TRADE WITH PORT MACQUARIE.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 2 August, p. 5, viewed 16 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14401076
The ANNANDALE sprang a leak in 1907 while carrying coal from Sydney to the Bellinger River and foundered 20 nautical miles SE of Smoky Cape... TSS ANNANDALE's bell note, Allen Taylor and Co Objects NMM viewed 18 March 2013
Allen Taylor was the second Mayor of Annandale, after John Young had lead the secession from the Leichhardt Council and became it's first. In 1902, Taylor became an alderman on the City Council, and a member of the Electricity Commitee...more
Carl Vader was the manager of the Beale Piano factory which opened in 1902, boasting electric lighting ...more
This page www.ramin.com.au/annandale/story3-electricity.shtml last Updated: 9 June 2017.